Bisiklet Yolculuklarımın Beklenmeyen Masrafları

 


tWO wHEELS tOO mANY jOURNEYS ~ BTF-2017/004
Inscription Date: Thursday, 11/05/2017

When I set off for my round the country bike tours, I’m sure many folks will think I am a professional cyclist and a bicycle tourer. As I am not, and not intending to be one, my answer to them will be simple: I don’t see myself a professional, but a conscious rider. And so this doesn’t mean that I should not learn the basics. For my safety and pleasure concern at first I believe I have to build a detailed knowledge regarding unexpected incidents. On a long-distance bike tour, undoubtedly some of my equipment will wear out, some of them will get lost, and some components of my bike will need replacement. It’s best to think about it well in advance, because it may end up eating a large part of your budget.

REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE COSTS

On a long-distance bike tour such as “Across the Country”, bike touring and camping gear are prone to regular wear and tear, especially the ultra-light, perishable ones, which aren’t made to last long. Even if I am careful, the rain and mud will get into my bike’s tiniest holes and break something, eventually.

Unexpected failure of shifters and derailleurs, bent dropout piece and rims, broken spokes, rack, and bottle holder, and even a cracked frame due to vibration is possible. Tires, tubes, brake pads, chain, and cables need regular replacement, because of wear and tear. Besides those, rims, hubs, pedals, seat post, and headset may need repair or replacement from time to time. I should also consider possible accidents too.

My clothes and camping equipment may need some stitching, taping, or replacing. The tent, sleeping pad or inflatable pillow may get punctured, shoes will wear out, t-shirts will be discoloured from the sun. My electronics can become non-functional which may lead to additional replacement. All of these costs should be considered while budgeting.

BUDGETING FOR STANDBYS & SUBSTITUTES

In other words the Spares and Replacements subject. As I mentioned above, during my long round the country bicycle trip, it’s more than likely that some components of my bike, camping gear, clothes, and even electronics, will fail and need replacement. Unfortunately, this might end up being eating a consistent slice of my budget, hence I ought to be ready for that well before getting myself into hot water.

Besides the most obvious tires, brake pads, hydraulic brake fades, and tubes, I may have to replace front and back wheels and rear derailleur, even my shifters may fail. Frequently so, I may need the spokes be adjusted as well. Getting new cables and chain is mandatory every once in a while, and also the bar tape needs replacement if I ride with drop bars.

I honestly wonder how much my bike spare expenses will amount to in first, then second, then in the third years.

It will be a good measurement as I experience. Nevertheless, I must be able to budget for a good reserve just in case. So why not start with a $300 in the initial year and increase it by $200 each year.

I might also have to purchase a new cell phone, a new laptop, hard-drives to store my photos and videos, SD cards, battery packs, a new action camera and even a new compact power-shot camera. Electronics are not made to withstand such tough conditions.

I shall plan to invest about $1.000 - $3.000 in new electronic gear.

Camping gear will wear out, the tent will probably start leaking after about 18 or 24 months into the trip, I wouldn’t like to replace that tough, just adjust my accommodation facility to find sheltered places to camp. Experience will indicate spending.

$150 to be reserved for camping gear sounds reasonable.

Clothing also doesn’t appear to be a noticeable expense, I’ll be amazed to realize how easy is to get new clothes if I don’t mind using low quality, non-technical stuff. I am really good at using clothes carefully and consume them in the long run until I get rid of the really old ones.

I will probably spent overall about $800 in new clothes (in 4 years), including shoes.

I’m hoping to manage to keep all of these costs within my monthly budget of $500 per month.

WHY! LOST OR STOLEN EQUIPMENT

This is something I hate to bring up. However, I am aware I should make it a habit to check if I have left something behind before I take off every time I stop. It may look like I shall be diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but whoever thinks what, it’s a good practice.

This is especially true in recent times. I like mislaying things and passing the sponge over. Forgetfulness is not a gift, I think, but a lack of concentration.

Forgetting the helmet, glasses and gloves beside natural springs, losing the lighter while cooking dinner, stray dogs taking my shoes while I sleep, thief monkeys stealing my camera or other valuables, dropping water bottles, flask or even more equipment on rough road surfaces from vibration, leaving the phone or navigation device on the campground, and someone stealing my bike and gear while I am indoors shopping or using the restroom looks very scary yet very possible. Yes, meeting such incident is a nightmare.

Apparently, street muggers, snatch thieves are everywhere, even the nice people who could invite me into their homes for the night may rob me. Bad stories flow in here and there.

As final words, I really don’t want to lose any of my equipment let alone my bicycle, even a lighter, or any of the baggage ropes; it’s demoralizing, so “Look after your stuff, my friend,” I repeat myself.

WHAT NEXT?

In the next FINANCIALS post, I will share my budget preparations for the year 2017: Budgeting for My Bike Tours...


***…***