İlk Ciddi Tur Heyecanı: Çiğdemli Göleti & Bağlıkaltı Deresi

 

PRELIMINARY COUNTRY TOURS BY PIRE🚲

GRAND THRACE TOUR” So! Day 6!! Woke up at 5:45 AM, in the empty house of my in-laws, from sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag. (Trying every better way to get used to this kind of camping - haha)... 


Anyway, with all that was happening at the wine addict boozy dawn, still hadn't managed to come round to myself and pack up the bike.  I was a little bit worried about the garbage dump on my way as there would probably be loose dogs chasing after my wheel and so decided at the 10:00 hour to get through it... 

Darn good thing I did!!  No... panic!!! First, thoughts disappear as you move on... 

Then I was off!

Scary, nervous, anxious – all that works nicely!! 


Made it across the Flamingo Road to the bottom end and started up the big road to Çiğdemli village then to the pond itself. Very careful riding the bike while I passed by the trash dump... I kept it slow and easy, and luckily, there were moving cars on the road, long enough for me to get up to speed. Amongst the curious stares of the doggies I got away. If any misfortunate thing happened, one of the cars would stop for me, I pleaded. Or predicted as much. 


Well, well, well... Couldn't wait to get to Çiğdemli pond for lunch. I set up my fire. BBQ Turkish style fermented sausages was on the menu. Then filtered coffee on top of that. Obviously I wouldn’t miss that view, that composure, that serenity. Guess what, yeah, I adorned all the valuable moments with my book “As The Ant Drank Water” (tr- Karıncanın Su İçtiği) by the master Turkish story teller Yaşar Kemal... 

*Çiğdemli Village from afar. 

*Çiğdemli Pond. 

This is the second book of a four volume anthology titled “An Island Story (tr- Bir Ada Hikayesi)” by book “As The Ant Drank Water” (similar to “deniz çarşaf gibi”) is a Turkish phrase used by mariners to describe the perfectly still waters at the edge of a calm sea (now in my case, the lake) – referring to an ant's ability to drink water from the water without being washed away on such a calm day. 


This four volume anthology is about the saga of a nation trying to rebuild itself after the chaos following World War I and the Turkish War of Independence. It deals with the forced exchange (exchange obligatoire) of peoples of Anatolia and Greece by the Refugee Settlement Commission of the Lausanne Treaty which was ratified on July 24, 1923. Close to two million inhabitants of Asia Minor, Macedonia, Western Thrace and Crete were uprooted and trekked to the coastal cities as destitute refugees – a compulsory intermigration under the supervision of the League of Nations. Muslim residents Eastward to Anatolia and Greek Orthodox residents Westward to the Hellenic Peninsula across the Aegean Sea... A little known fact by many Turks is that this exchange actually took place in the early years of the young Turkish Republic, lasting through 1926. 


In this volume of Yasar Kemal’s novel, we learn more about the fictional Western Turkish island, called the Ant Island (vacated by the original Rum Orthodox  inhabitants), being re-populated by a mosaic of Ottoman Muslim subjects who have come together in Turkey from the far corners of the collapsed Empire. The island is described as a ‘heaven’ and its ‘ready to move in’ environment draws a diverse set of new immigrants together. The author masterfully illustrates the interactions of these different people living together in harmony and in relative peace on this somewhat remote island off the Anatolian coast. There is a rich mosaic of people with different origins: The Turk, the lonesome Greek, the Kurd, the Circassian, the Laz fisherman, the Cretan islander, etc... 

The novel is primarily about human drama; budding relationships between new neighbours and the beautiful nature that surrounds them. With the ending of wars, each of the characters arriving on this picturesque island has a tragic story to tell. Flashbacks are abundantly used to take the reader back in time and to offer the reader sufficient background and diligence about those unfortunate times. The technique used provides a realistic perspective about the tragedies and atrocities of the wars: The psychology of the fighting warriors, the poverty of the displaced civilians, the heartache of mothers and wifes, the helplessness of orphaned children, the fright of AWOL soldiers, and the lost and new hopes of once wealthy but now destitute land owners. Many of them innocent (and some not) but each has a story to tell, and each has to piece together a brand new life in a new environment in pursuit of their own happiness. No matter the hardships they may have suffered, each still has unfulfilled dreams and unfinished plans for the future... 

I felt I have been absorbed by reading that I lost track of time. Then second stop of the day was through Katranca village and have a beer by the Bağlıkaltı Creek. 


*Sweetish friendly looks.

On the way I met few nice doggies. At first I was startled, and the bike nearly fell over when I got off. I wanted to walk past by. Fortunately they were the good ones. I fed them with leftovers. 


Then on to Katranca. Went really well, got used to farmers, shepherds, cattle, ox herd, sheep herd and sheepdogs, even the road truck that passed me on the narrow road, and how that wind was trying to pull me forward! Learned then and there, even though I warned myself many times, you gotta stay AHEAD of those trucks! In the village I saw farmers feeding youngish calves with real milk. I couldn’t help photographing them chugalugging. Oh, how sweet they were! I really wanted to cuddle and feed them myself.

*Candy calves being fed. 

*Milk is given to them first, then they will give it back to us when they’re grown up. 


Here at the creek I got my now favourite and standard toasted peanut and honey sandwich. The ale from Efes Pilsen fuelled me with what I wanted. 

Finally about 5pm, I pulled in to my free lodging, to my in-law’s house. It was so good to see a smiling face after that very long day. 

I was so exhausted ready to pass out, the neighbour next door offered to make beef and veggies, but I thanked her and said I was OK, and voted myself for macaroni and tuna fish with ketchup on top plus a top-size Edrina red wine from Edirne – ya!  It was super-duper delicious! I only lasted till about 9:00pm, and off I went to bed and passed out immediately.


TOUR DETAILS 

Tour Date: 26.11.2017; Sunday 

COURSE: Babaeski >> Nadırlı >> Çiğdemli >> Katranca >> Babaeski (Arr.) 

Itinerary Trail: Babaeski (Home Accommodation) Babaeski >> Nadırlı >> Çiğdemli >> Katranca >> Babaeski (Arr.) Gazi Mustafa Kemal Boulevard >> Nadırlı ~ Çiğdemli Village >> Çiğdemli Pond >> Katranca Village >> Bağlıkaltı Creek >> Nadırlı (R) >> G.M.K. Boulevard >> BABAESKİ (Home Accommodation) 

Nature of the Tour: “Grand Thrace Tour” ~ Lakes & Creeks of Babaeski 

Total Travel Distance: 28 km

Total Cycling Distance: 28 km

Total Vehicle Distance: 0 km 

Vehicles Used for the Trip: None 

Total Trip Time: 7 hrs. (10:00~17:00)

Total Cycling Time: 2 hrs. & 45 min + Stopovers: 4 hr. & 15 min. 

Air Temperature: 9°C (Cold) 

Average Speed: 10.00 km

Maximum Speed: 14.00 km 

Details of Tour Costs 

Transport: 0,00 TL

Accommodation: 0,00 TL

Food & Bevereges: 7,00 TL

Other: 0,00 TL

Total Costs: 7,00 TL 

Yours in Bike Adventure,

Two Wheels Too Many Journeys 

***…***