Alpullu Tren İstasyonu Nostaljisi

 

PRELIMINARY COUNTRY TOURS BY PIRE🚲

GRAND THRACE TOUR” So! Day 7!! 

It was so good to leave for another adventurous outdoor activity again while I really had to keep myself from looking back. 

I cycled past over the Büyük Dere (en- grand brook) and the Babaeski’s old, historical stone bridge, the coach terminal, and just after pedalling 1 KM, I arrived at the industrial estate. I could smell the coal smoke coming out of the chimneys of the workshops. I thought that the sign strapped to the back of Pire🚲 garner attention and help brighten my spirits but no one noticed. Even the long umbrella stick I had obtained from the Glasgow University hanging around my back did not attract any attention. Normally, no bicycle tourist would carry an umbrella, but me, always being a marginal, a rebel without a cause, would act to protect himself from any kind of jeopardies. Possibility of wet weather, hazard of mad dogs, even threat of two-legged menacing buggers – hahaha... 


In about a few minutes I got to the İstanbul~Edirne junction. The pinetum on the opposite side of the road was memorial forest of the police forces. 


As expected, the road out of town was windy and a little busy, the shoulder was widely existent but I often had to skip over the tractor muds or alley apples.
 


Cycling in the direction of İstanbul...
 

There were minimal rest stops and one gas station which doubled as a restaurant-store where it filled up my bag with two mineral water bottles. One was plain, and the other fruity. People inside were pounding beers (at this hour of the morning, silly Thracian culture, I admit) and having tripe soup, that seemed like fun, not now though because I still had another 10 miles to ride. 

Leaving Babaeski the temperature was a nice freezing 4 °C, once I started climbing the hills to Alpullu/Hayrabolu connection the temperature probably rose to 6 °C, and the sun really started to show its temperamental face. How much longer did I have to do this? You’re almost there I told myself, almost where? Another Thracian planet? I finally climbed the last big hill, when I passed a very sullen farmer, “Are you from around here” I asked, “yeah” he responded taking his eyes off the ground for a moment then returning his gaze to the earth. Better continue your way... 


After passing over the bridge that ties Çilingir and Osmaniye brooks, I reached the Alpullu junction where I will turn right, to the Edirne~Tekirdağ main road, for my destination. The distance between the two junctions (
Babaeski and Alpullu) was 4½ KM.   


Here, here... The first village is on stage just after an additional 2 KM... Pancarköy. It means sugar beet village. Because it used to be and still provides sugar beets as main source of these lands to the Alpullu Sugar Factory. This village, once upon a time, was also an officialdom location of my father in law, Hüseyin, as one of the grave bank clerks.
 

...

The two creeks meet each other here: Müsellim and Pancarköy runlets. 

...

Now past Pancarköy, it’s off into the Alpullu. I spent the whole morning climbing, flat riding, popping by amazing fields, and finally the railway location of some snooping childhood memories as evidenced by the photos, were rewarded with some pretty dazzling views. This was certainly a great tour to the yearning Alpullu Sugar Refinery and obviously the selected nostalgic Alpullu Train Station, once a really modern village of the whole Thrace, too. 

...

At the entrance of the Alpullu. 

...

That is the road I came from. 

...

At the background, Alpullu Sugar Refinery Complex. 

...

Ahead this elongated Hayrabolu-Tekirdağ main road will pass by the railway station. 

...

Alpullu Sugar Refinery. 

...

At the Alpullu train station. I’m lucky that I caught a freight train. 

...

Just like in the old days. 

...

Oh I feel so good to be out here. 

...

I must catch some more photos just before the wheels of the old merchandise wagons begin to turn. 

...

Pire🚲 looks happy to be here, too. 

...

Got to have a memory of today in the album collections of the Thrace. 

...

Alpullu village nearly ends here at this connexion. 

...

Railway station is now afar back. The puddle (and slough) on the right is originated from the branch of the Pancarköy streamlet. 

...

Now, retuning to Municipal Peace Park, I attribute my respects to the Atatürk, at his memorial monument in the square just opposite of the sugar factory, which was built and served as the first refinery in Turkey (1925) with his vital and vanguard role in the development of the country. 


Independence  and freedom are my characteristics (Mustafa Kemal Atatürk)... 

...

The park in bareness and desolation and silence. 

...

Now is time for refreshments before launching forth the return way. Coffee, out of the flask. 

...

One of the best hushed ways to have a rest. 

...

Okay, time to trot off. 

...

I’m just about to leave Alpullu behind. 

...

A few yard ahead, at the D-100 junction, I will make a left turn in the direction of Babaeski – the most comfortable home location for my Thracian trips. 

Babaeski
... 

Anyway, summary to Alpullu... a successful day complete...

 

TOUR DETAILS 

Tour Date: 27.11.2017; Monday 

COURSE: Babaeski >> Pancarköy >> Alpullu >> Babaeski (Arr.) 

Itinerary Trail: Babaeski (Home Accommodation) >> Fatih St. >> İstanbul ~ Edirne Highway (D100) >> Alpullu Junction >> Edirne ~ Tekirdağ Highway (D555) >> Pancarköy >> ALPULLU >> Municipality Peace Park >> Alpullu Bridge & Ergene River >> Sinanlı >> Alpullu ~ Sinanlı Public Road >> Mimar Sinan Bridge >> Alpullu Train Station >> Alpullu Sugar Refinery >> Pancarköy (R>> İstanbul ~ Edirne Highway (D100) >> İstanbul St. >> BABAESKİ (Home Accommodation) 

Nature of the Tour: Alpullu railway station trip in brief 

Total Travel Distance: 30 km

Total Cycling Distance: 30 km

Total Vehicle Distance: 0 km 

Vehicles Used for the Trip: None 

Total Trip Time: 3 hrs. & 45 min (10:00~13:45)

Total Cycling Time: 2 hrs. + Stopovers: 1 hr. & 45 min 

Air Temperature: 6°C (Cloudy & very cold) 

Average Speed: 12.00 km

Maximum Speed: 20.00 km 

Details of Tour Costs 

Transport: 0,00 TL

Accommodation: 0,00 TL

Food & Bevereges: 5,00 TL

Other: 0,00 TL

Total Costs: 5,00 TL 

Yours in Bike Adventure,

Two Wheels Too Many Journeys 

***…***